Wet and Dry Environments
Students will explore a range of landscapes in the Botanic Garden, analysing the differences between these equally important environments and investigating the biodiversity and their adaptations to each environment. They will discover how different environments provide different habitats for a variety of plants and animals, adaptations of plants and animals for their environment and how plants and animals interact with each other.
- Explore the different environments within the Botanic Garden
- Compare the features of each environments
- Discover adaptations plants and animals have to survive in different environments
Themes: Environments, water, living world
- ST1-10LW: describes external features, changes in and growth of living things
- ST1-11LW: describes ways that different places in the environment provide for the needs of living things
- GE1-1: describes features of places and the connections people have with places
- ST2-10LW: describes that living things have life cycles, can be distinguished from non-living things and grouped, based on their observable features
- GE2-1: examines features and characteristics of places and environments
- ST3-10LW: describes how structural features and other adaptations of living things help them to survive in their environment
Minimum students: 15
Maximum group size: no more than two groups of 30 students per day
Please note: no education bookings are available on Fridays.
Class size will be limited for certain activities due to safety considerations and staffing resources.
Please book at least two months before your visit.
Use the button on this page to request an excursion booking, or call us during business hours on (02) 4227 7667.
If your request is accepted, we'll send you a booking confirmation letter, risk assessment, garden map and instructions for your visit (including wet weather plan).
Excursion cost is $13 (incl. GST) per student per day, and includes two activities. Carers and teachers are free.
In line with new Education Department policy, we are requesting the pre-payment of your attendance by credit card. This will be emailed to you as soon as we have confirmed your education date and you have confirmed your numbers. (Please note we cannot amend numbers after an invoice has been generated).
If payment before attendance is not possible you will be required to send us a PO number so we can send the invoice to EDConnect, to be paid prior to attendance.
Please meet at the Discovery Centre, located at the north eastern corner of Wollongong Botanic Garden.
Buses can drop students off at either the bus bay located at the University of Wollongong on Northfields Avenue or at our Murphys Avenue car park.
We have a minimal waste policy and ask that packaging of food items brought to the Garden are minimised.
Once your payment is made we will issue a confirmation, along with Council risk assessments covering garden excursions and COVID-19 safety.
It is mandatory that we also receive a Covid Safe Plan from your school prior to a confirmation.
Most activities can still go ahead in light rain. In this case, please make sure students, teachers and accompanying parents wear appropriate wet weather clothes and shoes.
Our activities may need to be cancelled in heavy rain or high winds.
Please call us on the excursion day to confirm whether the program can continue or if your excursion needs to be rescheduled.
- Early Childhood
- Primary Schools
- High Schools
- Tertiary Students
- School Holidays
- Tours and Workshops