Take mathematics out of the classroom and into the environment. Students will investigate real life mathematics problems with an environmental touch while exploring the garden.
- Explore the Garden and investigate real life mathematics problems.
Themes: Mathematics, problem solving, adaptations, environments
- MAe-1WM: describes mathematical situations using everyday language, actions, materials and informal recordings
- MA1-9MG: measures, records, compares and estimates lengths and distances using uniform informal units, metres and centimetres
- GE2-1: examines features and characteristics of places and environments
- MA2-9MG: measures, records, compares and estimates lengths, distances and perimeters in metres, centimetres and millimetres, and measures, compares and records
- 3-9MG: selects and uses the appropriate unit and device to measure lengths and distances, calculates perimeters, and converts between units of length
- ST3-10LW: describes how structural features and other adaptations of living things help them to survive in their environment
Minimum students: 15
Maximum group size: no more than two groups of 30 students per day
Please note: no education bookings are available on Fridays.
Class size will be limited for certain activities due to safety considerations and staffing resources.
Please book at least two months before your visit.
Use the button on this page to request an excursion booking, or call us during business hours on (02) 4227 7667.
If your request is accepted, we'll send you a booking confirmation letter, risk assessment, garden map and instructions for your visit (including wet weather plan).
Excursion cost is $13 (incl. GST) per student per day, and includes two activities. Carers and teachers are free.
In line with new Education Department policy, we are requesting the pre-payment of your attendance by credit card. This will be emailed to you as soon as we have confirmed your education date and you have confirmed your numbers. (Please note we cannot amend numbers after an invoice has been generated).
If payment before attendance is not possible you will be required to send us a PO number so we can send the invoice to EDConnect, to be paid prior to attendance.
Please meet at the Discovery Centre, located at the north eastern corner of Wollongong Botanic Garden.
Buses can drop students off at either the bus bay located at the University of Wollongong on Northfields Avenue or at our Murphys Avenue car park.
We have a minimal waste policy and ask that packaging of food items brought to the Garden are minimised.
Once your payment is made we will issue a confirmation, along with Council risk assessments covering garden excursions and COVID-19 safety.
It is mandatory that we also receive a Covid Safe Plan from your school prior to a confirmation.
Most activities can still go ahead in light rain. In this case, please make sure students, teachers and accompanying parents wear appropriate wet weather clothes and shoes.
Our activities may need to be cancelled in heavy rain or high winds.
Please call us on the excursion day to confirm whether the program can continue or if your excursion needs to be rescheduled.
- Early Childhood
- Primary Schools
- High Schools
- Tertiary Students
- School Holidays
- Tours and Workshops