Step Back in Time with the Hoskins
Have you ever wanted to meet an important local family and discover all their secrets? In this heritage tour you will join the Hoskins family, the original owners of historic Gleneffere Brae situated in the beautiful surrounds of Wollongong Botanic Garden. Don’t worry they are friendly ghosts and have lots of interesting local stories to share with you from the mid-20th Century? Tales of the World War at home and episodes of our industrial and agricultural way of life in the 1940s and 1950s. Mr Hoskins was the owner of Australian Iron and Steel at Port Kembla. This is a great opportunity to explore an exciting episode of our local history and uncover the importance of conserving the natural and the built environment.
- Explore Gleniffre Brae, now part of Wollongong Botanic Garden, learning about the history and geography of this important site.
- Participate in hands-on demonstrations of a variety of episodes in the life of a mid-20th Wollongong Family.
- Learn all about the history of this beautiful building.
Themes: Heritage, Sustainability, Impact on natural environments
- HT4-3: describes and assesses the motives and actions of past individuals and groups in the context of past societies
- HT4-7: identifies and describes different contexts, perspectives and interpretations of the past
Bookings and more information
If you have a question about this activity, please email or call us on (02) 4227 7667.
If you're ready to book, use the form on our Excursion page and note this as one of your preferred activities.
- Early Childhood
- Primary Schools
- High Schools
- Tertiary Students
- School Holidays
- Tours and Workshops