Make your garden greener by picking up some gems from our Native Plant Sales.
We offer a wide range of ground covers, grasses, trees and shrubs that are native to the Wollongong area, as well as other Australian natives. You can check our plant list below a week before each sale to find out what will be available. Worm farms and compost bins can also be bought at our sales.
Our expert horticulturalists are on hand at each sale to help with advice about plant selection for your garden.
The Friends of Wollongong Botanic Garden also hold a stall at our sales. Plants available from the Friends vary, and can include herbs or exotic plants. Profits go towards supporting a range of projects for the Garden.
Our next plant sales are shown below, or see our calendar for a full list of sales and other events.
Below is the plant list for 18 September 2020.
Illawarra Local Native Species
- Austral Mulberry (Hedycarya angustifolia)
- Bangalow Palm (Archontophoenix cunninghamiana)
- Blue Flax-lily (Dianella caerulea)
- Blush Alder (Sloanea australis)
- Branching Grass-Flag (Libertia paniculata)
- Broadleaf Drumstick (Ispogon anemonifolius)
- Brown Beech (Pennantia cunninghamii)
- Cabbage Tree Palm (Livistona australis)
- Cheese Tree (Glochidion ferdinandi)
- Cinnamon Myrtle (Backhousia myrtifolia)
- Coast Banksia (Banksia integrifolia)
- Coastal Rosemary (Westringia fruticosa)
- Coastal Salt Bush (Rhagodia candolleana)
- Cockspur Thorn (Maclura cochinensis)
- Coffee Bush (Breynia oblongifolia)
- Cut-leaf Mintbush (Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi)
- Deciduous Fig (Ficus superba)
- Dogwood (Jacksonia scoparia)
- Dune Fan Flower (Scaevola calendulacea)
- Dusky Coral Pea (Kennedia rubicunda)
- Dwarf Lilly Pilly (Acmena smithii var. minor)
- Golden Tip (Goodia lotifolia)
- Grass Daisy (Brachyscome angustifolia)
- Gristle Fern (Blechnum cartilagineum)
- Gymea Lily (Doryanthes excelsa)
- Hairy Clerodendrum (Clerodendrum tomentosum)
- Hairy Hakea (Hakea gibbosa)
- Hillock Bush (Meleleuca hypericifolia)
- Hoary Guinea Flower (Hibbertia obtusifolia)
- Hop Goodenia (Goodenia ovata-prostrate)
- Knobby Club-rush (Ficinia nodosa)
- Koda (Ethretia accuminata)
- Maidens Wattle (Acacia maidenii)
- Matted Pratia (Pratia pedunculata)
- Mint Bush (Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi 'White Form')
- Mother Spleenwort (Asplenium bulbiferum)
- Native Hibiscus (Hibiscus heterophyllus)
- Native Holly (Alchornea ilicifolia)
- Native Hydrangea (Abrophyllym ornans)
- Native Leek (Bulbine bulbosa)
- Native Storksbill (Pelargonium australe)
- NSW Christmas Bush (Ceratopetalum gummiferum)
- NSW Sassafras (Doryphora sassafras)
- Old Man Banksia (Banksia serrata)
- Pepperomia (Pepperomia blanda var. floribunda)
- Plum Pine (Podocarpus elatus)
- Port Jackson Fig (Ficus rubiginosa)
- Port Jackson Pine (Callitris rhomboidea)
- Prickly Moses (Acacia ulcifolia)
- Purple Coral Pea (Hardenbergia violacea)
- Purple Fan Flower (Scaevola aemulea)
- Rasp Fern (Doodia aspera)
- Red Ash (Alphitonia excelsa)
- Red Cedar (Toona ciliata)
- River Lomatia (Lomatia myricoides)
- Rough Guinea Flower (Hibbertia aspera)
- Sand Olive (Dodonaea angustifolia)
- Scaly Tree Fern (Cyathea cooperi)
- Scrub Beefwood (Stenocarpus salignus)
- Sea Rush (Juncus kraussii)
- Shrubby Deeringia (Deeringia amaranthoides)
- Snake Vine (Hibbertia scandens)
- Snow Wood (Parachidendron pruinosum)
- Spiny-headed Mat-rush (Lomandra longifolia)
- Sunshine Wattle (Acacia floribunda)
- Swamp Banksia (Banksia robur)
- Swamp Lily (Crinum pedunculatum)
- Swamp Paperbark (Melaleuca ericifolia)
- Tall Sedge (Carex appressa)
- Tea Tree (Leptospermum morrisonii)
- Tick Bush (Kunzea ambigua)
- Toothed Daisy-bush (Olearia tomentosa)
- Tuckeroo (Cupaniopsis anacardioides)
- Tussock-grass (Poa labillardierei)
- Victorian Christmas Bush (Prostanthera lasianthos)
- Viscid Daisy Bush (Olearia viscidula)
- Warrigal Greens (Tetragonia tetragonoides)
- Water Gum (Tristaniopsis laurina)
- White Beech (Gmelina leichhardtii)
- White Correa (Correa alba)
- Yellow Ash (Emmenosperma alphitonioidoes)
- Yellow Buttons (Chrysocephalum apiculatum)
Australian Native Species
- Alpine Pratia (Pratia puberula)
- Bottlebrush (Callistemon sp and cultivars)
- Bower Wattle (Acacia congata)
- Coastal Rosemary (Westringia 'Wynyabbie Gem')
- Creeping Boobialla (Myporum parvifolium)
- Davidson's Plum (Davidsonia pruriens)
- Fan Flower (Scaevola 'Pink Form')
- Fan Flower (Scaevola purple)
- Green Mat-rush (Lomandra hystrix)
- Grevillea (Grevillea sp and cultivars)
- Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos cultivars)
- Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos green form)
- Knife-leaf Wattle (Acacia cultriformis)
- Lillypilly (Syzgium sp. and cultivars)
- Mt Blackwood Holly (Graptophyllum illicifolium)
- Native Fuschia (Correa sp. and cultivars)
- Prima Donna (Elaeocarpus reticulatus)
- Tea Tree (Leptospermum sp. and cultivars)
- Tulipwood (Harpullia pendula)
Current prices for our Native Plant Sales are shown below. Prices include GST.
You can pay by card (not AMEX) or cheque. Cash is not accepted.
Bring your current rates notice as proof that you’re a resident of the Wollongong City Council area to buy plants at these sales.
Please note, a 0.5% merchant fee applies to all payments made by credit/debit card.
We happily accept the return of pots from any plants you've bought at one of our sales, and we will reuse them.
Please note, we don't accept damaged pots or any pots that were bought elsewhere.
Every financial year, not-for-profit primary and secondary schools, and community centres operating on community land in the Wollongong local government area can request up to 30 plants to be donated from the Botanic Garden's Greenplan Nursery.
We cannot accommodate requests for specific plants. The donation will include a mixture of native grasses, ground covers, trees and shrubs from our available supplies. If you have a specific plant request, you can purchase plants directly from the nursery as a special order (see 'Purchasing Plants' below).
Submit your donation request
If you are interested in receiving free plants for your school or community centre please complete the following:
- Email us to request a donation. Note: we cannot accommodate requests for specific plants.
- Once your request has been approved, please confirm your collection date and time.
Please allow 10 days’ notice from your approval to allow our team to prepare your plants for collection.
If your school or community centre would like to purchase specific plants you can come to an upcoming Plant Sale (dates listed above) or email us with your request for a special order. Make sure you include details of the types and quantity of plants required.
Collecting plant donations
Bring a letterhead from the organisation or school authorising you to collect the plants on their behalf, along with photo ID. Plants cannot be collected without this.
Collections must be pre-booked. Collection times are Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9am, 9.30am to 12pm, or 12.30pm to 2pm.
- Visit our Nursery: 63 Northfields Avenue in Keiraville (Gate 8) at your agreed collection date and time (see above).
- Make sure you have an authorisation letter and photo ID.
- If the gate is locked when you arrive, call 0419 273 818.